Tuesday, March 15, 2011

From Blank Canvas to Finished Art

1) The Starting Point
Oh the possibilities!  How do I begin?  What should I paint? 
It is always a challenge to decide what to paint and how big to paint "it".  A blank canvas is probably not as exciting to some as it is to me but what comes to mind is --get to work!

This post contains a few start to finish images to show you my process.  My inspiration is always there while tackling the hurdles that come along with getting the painting completed.  Let me know what you think....



 

2) Choosing Inspiring Colors
If I am not on location to create field studies, I am in my studio.  
One of my first steps is determining the color and feel of my piece.  I love color swatches!




3) Laying in Color
Laying in color quickly establishes my directions and what I need to focus on to get the finished piece.  This piece was quite an effort because it was to big but I really like the finished piece.  "Turning Points" comes from the long sandy, walk to the beach where you can take a different path each time.  Why not try a new path, right?


Finished Piece, "Turning Points", Oil, 36 x 48

No comments: